Friday, June 5, 2009

Presidents & Catalina Island

A few days ago I was stopped by two friends who wanted to know which Presidents visited Catalina. YES, I am often stopped on the street and asked historical questions about the Island! I am also glad that people, especially Islanders, feel confident to ask me such questions.

I must admit that it is a strange way to start a conversation, but questions like this are certainly "ice breakers"!

When I get inquiries such as this, I welcome them as I now know what is on the minds of at least some of the people with whom I come in contact and this makes it easier for me to come up with my daily "blogs".

The answer is that Calvin Coolidge and Herbert Hoover came to the Island after their terms of office were over. A young Ronald Reagan came to the Island in 1936 and 1937 to do the "color commentary" for the Chicago Cubs Spring Training, which they enjoy from 1921-1951 ("Dutch" was doing the radio commentary in Iowa for the Cubs when he convinced Mr. Wrigley to send him to Catalina as he wanted to get into movies, but didn't have the money to come out to California.) In between the games, "Dutch" went to mainland in hopes of getting Hollywood to grab him. In 1937 Warner Brothers signed him up for a screen test and the rest is history.

Whatever you may have thought about his politics, if it weren't for Mr. Wrigley, the Chicago Cubs, Catalina Island, and gum, the future President might have died in Iowa, never made it out to California, never got into movies, never got into politics, and never would have become the California Governor nor President of the United States.

Thinking about it, the "Berlin Wall" might still be up, if it wasn't for Catalina!

President Warren Harding was making his way to the Island in 1923 when he died in San Francisco.

Rumors had it that President Theodore Roosevelt visited the Island, but no proof has been found to substantiate this.

No comments: