Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Catalina Island Man


"WHAT I HAVE LEARNED IN 62 YEARS"

Yes, at 3:55 AM, May 24, 2009, on Catalina Island, it has finally happened! I turned 62, but I wish that I knew what that meant!

For example, I don't know what it is to "feel" 62, as I have never been 62 before! I do know that I am now definitely considered a "Senior Citizen" and could retire, if I knew what I was retiring from!

Any thoughts that I am still "Middle Aged" can be thrown out the window as that would mean that I could possible live to be 124 (what a horrible thought!). I am now 434 dog years old (boy, I have felt that more than once)!

By the way, Queen Victoria and Bob Dylan share my birthday. Let the astrologers try to make sense out of that!

There is an expression that states that we should learn at least one new thing a day. I agree, however, acknowledging 22,630 bits of wisdom is a bit much, so I have modified it slightly. I have decided to rack my brain for only one for every year I have been alive. If you have some additional suggestions, email them to me: liddell@catalinas.net

From time to time, I will post some of my 62 jewels of wisdom, here are the first six.

1. Learn to forgive your enemies. This is for you, not them. As long as they are in your thoughts as "enemies", then they still have hold on you and then, THEY HAVE WON!

2. There was a "chick flick", "Beaches", which came out some years ago that had a song called "Wind Beneath My Wings"! I confess I LOVE THAT SONG, because I would love to become a "bit player" in someone else's life, when they can be the "STAR". Everyone should be a "Star" sometimes, which means that the rest of us are only there for support and backup. My ego can handle this!

3. Children are vulnerable and deserve a "good start" in life. Find a child who needs your guidance to get that "push" in the right direction.

4. Elderly people are also vulnerable and deserve respect and protection. Find an older person who needs a little extra help to prepare them for their final "curtain call".

5. Do one "dumb" thing a month. Force yourself to make life a little less predictable and "push your envelope" a bit!

6. Live your life so that when, on your deathbed, someone will be able to come up to you and say, "Because of you, my life is better than it would have been without you!" (Like the Jimmy Stewart character in, "It's A Wonderful Life")(even Mr. Potter?). I hope that no one tells me this for quite a while, as I don't think I am ready to go quite yet!



More to follow soon.

No comments: